It’s safe to say that Game of Thrones is the best show on tv. There is so much depth to the characters, so many details in costumes, so many beautiful variations in the locations, and so many epic plot twists in the story lines. Even though you have to follow along with about a bajillion details throughout the series, let’s add some more for fun. Here are 25 amazing facts about Game of Thrones!
2. Alfie Allen (Theon Greyjoy) is Lily Allen’s little brother.
3. The Language Creation Society created the Dothraki Language, which consists of more than 4,000 words.
4. Geoffrey was modeled after the Roman Emperor, Caligula.
Caligula was self-absorbed, angry, killed on a whim, and indulged in spending money and sex. He once even ordered his guards to throw and entire section of the crowd into the arena during a gladiator fight intermission to be eaten by the animals because there were no criminals to be prosecuted and he was bored. Sound familiar?
5. Peter Dinklage is vegetarian, so every time you see him dig in on film, that turkey leg is actually a tofu leg.
6. Michelle Fairley, who plays Catelyn Stark, also appeared as Hermione’s mother in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, though I doubt she remembers it.
7. Does Gendry look familiar? Well that’s because he played Chris in the original SKINS series.
8. One season of GoT requires over 3,000 costumes.
9. The official slogan of House Lannister is “Hear me roar!” In the show, however, it is more common to hear “A Lannister always pays his debts.”
11. The original pilot of the show was so awful that the original actors set to play Catelyn Stark and Daenerys Targaryen (along with 3 others) were recast.
12. At any given time, there has never been more than 6 members in the writers room.
13. Direwolves were real, they are thought to be 25% larger than a grey wolf. In the show they use Northern Inuits and add to their size with computer animation.
14. The “heart” that Khaleesi ate was seven pounds and made of a red gelatin. 15. Thomas Sangster, who play Jojen Reed, played the cutest little guy in Love, Actually.
16. Sansa adopted her “direwolf” at the end of her filming, but changed her name from “Lady” to “Zunni.”
17. Hodor is a DJ in real life. DJ Nairn has played with the likes of Scissor Sisters and Calvin Harris.
18. The average episode costs more than $6 million to make.
19. Jack Gleeson (Geoffrey) made an appearance in Batman Begins.
21. After Peter Dinklage won an Emmy for Season 1, he received top billing and became the final “and” credit.
22. Each wig on the show can cost up to $7,000
23. Many porn stars are casted as extras in the show as, well, prostitutes.
24. David Bradley, who plays Walder Frey, also appeared as the one and only cat-loving Argus Filch in the Harry Potter series.
25. The show is filmed in seven countries over three continents: the US, Croatia, Morocco, Malta, Iceland, Northern Ireland, and Scotland.