Who knew that on top of their crazy skills and personas, there would be even more to the famous DJs than just the songs love to listen to? Here are 17 fun facts for your brain to rave to!
1. Diplo (Thomas Pentz) got his DJ name from his childhood fascination of dinosaurs. Diplodocus’ were those 90-foot-long long-necked plant eaters. And you thought you loved Land Before Time.
2. Sonny Moore (Skrillex) had his beginnings in an American post-hardcore band called From First To Last as the lead singer in 2004. That means he’s been a famous musician since he was 15. What are you doing with your life? What am I doing with my life?
3. Deadmau5′ famous name came from when he was an early teen. When he was online, his computer suddenly died and it smelled awful. When he opened it, lo and behold, there was a dead mouse. He then tried to use the screen name “DeadMouse,” but it was too long. Hence, Deadmau5.
4. Kaskade served a full two-year mission at the Church of Jesus Christ Latter-day Saints in Japan in 1990, making him fluent in Japanese.
5. Steve Aoki’s dad owns the popular restaurant chain Benihana’s.
6. Tiësto was the first ever DJ to perform at the Olympics in 2004.
7. Armin van Buuren graduated from Law school in 2003, which makes him both a J.D. and a D.J.
8. Tocadisco means “Turn Table” in Spanish.
9. The Dada Life duo met at a chili cook off in Sweden.
10. Laidback Luke is a Kung Fu master. He even competed in the World Championship in China in 2013.
11. “Greyhound” by Swedish House Mafia was written in conjunction with Absolut Vodka for their grapefruit line.
12. Hardwell and Tiësto hail from the same town of Breda in the Netherlands. The first track they collaborated on, “Zero 76,” is the area code for their town.
13. Zedd is a classically trained musician. He started playing the piano and drums at just four years old.
14. Avicii got his moniker from MySpace. He tried to get “Avici,” which is a level of Buddhist hell, but it had already been taken. Naturally, he just added another “i.”
15. The Daft Punk guys have not allowed photographers to take pictures of their faces since May 2006.
16. Madeon originally went by the name “DJ Deamon.” Madeon is an anagram of it.
17. Mim from NERVO claims that her special talent is being able to fall asleep whenever and wherever.